Ministry of the Environment, Forest and Climate Change
- Environment Education Awareness and Training (EEAT) is a central sector scheme of the Ministry of the Environment, Forest and Climate Change started in 1983-84
- It aims to promote environmental awareness and mobilize student’s participation for environment conservation.
- Under the scheme, National Green Corps (NGC) ‘Ecoclub’ programme was initiated in 2001-2002 with the objective to impart knowledge to school children through hands-on experience about their immediate environment, interactions within it and the problems therein.
- The programme aims to inculcate proper attitude towards the environment and sensitize children on issues related to environment and development.
- It is envisaged that the number of Eco clubs shall be enhanced from about 1.5 lakh at present to 2 lakh in the ensuing year 2020-21.